Early Beginnings (1902-1992): Miami-Inspiration Hospital
Did you know “cobre” means “copper” in Spanish?
The Town of Miami was founded in 1907 with the major employment of the town being at two mining operations, Miami Copper Company and Inspiration Consolidated Copper Company. These two mining companies saw a need to provide medical services and a hospital for their employees in the Miami area. In 1910, they coordinated their efforts and began to make plans for the Miami-Inspiration Hospital.
Doctor John C. Bacon was hired by Miami Copper Company in 1910 as the Chief Surgeon. During his 22 years in Miami, he conducted a busy medical practice, was active in various medical societies and served on the Miami Board of Health. Doctor Bacon’s first medical services in his clinic were provided in 1910. When Doctor Bacon was not examining and treating patients in his crude quarters, he was drawing plans and making preparations for the new hospital.
A site was chosen on a hill overlooking the Town of Miami. Construction started in 1912 and the building was completed the next year. Equipment and supplies were installed, additional staffs were hired and the hospital opened in early 1913. Named for the two mining companies, Miami-Inspiration Hospital provided all aspects of medical care to mineworkers and their dependents.
In 1919, a dispensary was opened on the second floor of the Gila Valley Bank and Trust Company building in downtown Miami. Outpatient services were provided there for the next 37 years. For over a half-century, through good times and bad, through two World Wars and the Great Depression, Miami-Inspiration Hospital tended to the medical needs of Miami’s miners and their families. When the mines shut down temporarily, the hospital on the hill remained open.
In 1956, a new outpatient clinic was constructed on the Globe-Miami Highway. Eventually, the aging, crowded Miami-Inspiration Hospital could no longer accommodate the growing patient load and the demands of a modern hospital practice. A larger, modern hospital was needed, and during the 1960s, plans were formulated for a new hospital at another location. Much of the planning for this structure was under the direction of Doctor Ira Harris. Dr. Harris came to Miami in 1935 at the age of 26, and he soon became Chief of Surgery at Miami-Inspiration Hospital. He did not see his dream of a new hospital fulfilled, however, as he died in October 1966, several months before the structure was completed.
Construction of the hospital proceeded through 1966 and into the next year. Simultaneously, a nurse’s residence was built adjacently to the hospital. In 1967, the resident patients and the staff were transferred to the newly completed hospital in Miami Gardens. It was equipped with modern surgical, obstetrical and emergency suites and excellent radiology and laboratory facilities. During the next 11 years, an outstanding group of “company” physicians tended the patients at Miami-Inspiration Hospital.
In 1978, the Board of Directors contracted with a Health Maintenance Organization from Phoenix to manage the hospital. The clinic on the highway was shut down, and the nurse’s residence was converted into a new outpatient clinic. The next two years were difficult for the hospital, but 1980 was a turning point for Miami-Inspiration Hospital — it became a “community” hospital. A physical therapy department was added in 1975 and treadmill testing a few years later.
Laboratory equipment was kept up-to-date and new surgical equipment encouraged new procedures. The radiology department added mammography, CAT, MRI, sonography and nuclear medicine. Other new hospital services included respiratory care, electronic monitoring and a birthing unit. Also, visiting specialists began to come to the community to provide medical expertise in their fields of medicine. Miami-Inspiration Hospital became the sole provider of acute medical care in the Globe-Miami area in 1991.
A Shift in 1992: Cobre Valley Community Hospital
In 1992, the administration of the hospital was taken over by Brim Healthcare. Connections with the mining companies were severed, and the name of the hospital was changed to Cobre Valley Community Hospital. The plans to enlarge and improve the hospital facilities became a high priority, and the radiology and laboratory departments were enlarged and modernized. Meanwhile, plans for a major expansion of several departments were initiated, and large, new, state-of-the-art emergency, surgery and intensive care departments were completed in early 1997 at a cost of some $9,300,000.
Over the next 18 years, under the management of Brim Healthcare, Cobre Valley Community Hospital (CVCH) continued to provide the best services available, adding new services, technology and the latest equipment in all departments. The hospital went through three major construction renovations. CVCH opened clinics in the medically underserved communities of Young, Kearny, and Superior.
The Healthcare System You Know Today: Cobre Valley Regional Medical Center
In March of 2010, Cobre Valley Community Hospital became Cobre Valley Regional Medical Center (CVRMC). The name was changed to better reflect the area and population served by the hospital and its outlying clinics. Added services included a wound center, vein center and a sleep center. The expansion project of 2016-2017 was 67,000 square feet of new construction providing the most modern amenities. The new construction provided for new single-patient rooms for med/surg, family birth center, and ICU. It also included new areas for retail pharmacy, cath lab, wound center, infusion center, café and kitchen, gift shop, 11,000 square feet of physician offices and clinic, family lounges, conference rooms, and 14,000 square feet of remodeled space in the pre-op area.
As of October 2020, CVRMC is providing healthcare to approximately 38,000 residents in the Copper Corridor area. A new clinic was added in Tonto Basin. Services have grown immensely and include full-service oncology (chemotherapy and radiation), skin clinic—aesthetics/dermatology, chronic care management, podiatry, pediatrics, cath lab, infusion therapy, family practice, general surgery, imaging, laboratory, pharmacy, obstetrics and gynecology, physical therapy, cardiology, emergency services and more. The hospital continues to have its long-standing relationship with HealthTechS3, formally Brim Healthcare Management.
CVRMC embraces our accountability and compassion to patients and families; our respect and collaboration to all who surround us; our earnest responsibility to grow with the needs of our population; and our social and public responsibility as healthcare leaders of all our communities. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, CVRMC is committed to our communities with an unwavering dedicated spirit.